ISO/IEC 20000 defines a set of management processes that form a service management system which can be used for the effective delivery of services to the business and its customers. The standard is applicable to all types and sizes of service provider.
ISO/IEC 20000 is aligned with and complementary to the process approach defined within ITIL, and is supported by other similar control approaches, such as COBIT. ISO/IEC 20000 is a standard which means it is prescriptive in what you can or cannot do in terms of the processes it covers. It is based on the ITIL framework, so shares many areas in common, but the standard will set out what must be achieved, instead of providing guidance which can be adapted.
KEY BENEFITS OF ISO20000
The benefits for an IT service provider organization working towards and achieving certification against the ISO/IEC 20000 standard are many and varied, dependent upon the organization itself and the business and customers it serves.
The key benefits of undertaking an ISO 20000 course are:
- To establish an on-going culture of continual improvement and learning within an organization, providing a target to achieve and maintain
- To ensure that organizations focus on the implementation of a set of integrated processes and solutions
- To enable an increased rate of change and improve the productivity of staff, including the use of their skills and expertise
- To enable organizations to adopt a structured approach to service management based on best practice guidance
- To exhibit a level of effectiveness in service provision, which may provide a competitive differentiator in a tendering situation
- To enable organizations to internally assess their processes and activities against international standards as a method of identifying and implementing improvements Accreditation to the standard requires that the service provider be independently, externally audited for compliance using a scheme and standard that is internationally recognized and respected
- For current or internal service providers to demonstrate that they are focused on service management and the quality of service they provide
- For outsourcing and hosting organizations to demonstrate that they are serious about service management and the quality of service they provide and that their processes are effective and have been independently audited as such
ISO20000 Free Resources
ISO20000 at a Glance
Learn the basics of ISO20000 with our handy, downloadable At a Glance sheet. The PDF shows key information about the standard and summarises the procesess involved in the service management system.
Useful to print out and display in your study area if you’re taking the ISO20000 Foundation exam, or share with your team if your organisation is working towards the standard.